Men with Breast Implants | Saline and Silicone Implants for MenJanuary 10th, 2010 | Posted by in Breast Implants
There are men who preferably want to have their breasts enhanced. Breast implants are not just commonly seen amongst women. Nowadays, you can actually be able to witness males going under the knife to have their implants.
It doesnâ€™t necessarily imply that only homosexuals go through this cosmetic surgery. There are actually male individuals out there who are willing to go through this procedure to raise the size and shape of their breasts.
Is It Safe for Men to Have Breast Implants?
Any kind of surgery has its own risks. There have been lawsuits filed due to complications that arose after implant procedures. However, even with this existing issue looming over, breast implants for men is still a big craze going around the globe.
Breast implants for men is usually an artistic process for males who are in need of such physical enhancement for their dream jobs and occupations. Most of the males like drag queens, transsexuals, and gender benders go through this procedure just to have the figure they dream of having.
Breast Implants for Men
To attain these implants, they usually would undergo simple and safe procedures. It is of no difference from the implant procedure done to the women. However, breast implants for men would likely differ with regards to the size of the implants.
Plastic surgeons are hesitant to perform this procedure to males since it might result to gender identity crisis. Hence, the male individual who wants to have this surgery would need to fully explain his reasons and make it clear to oneâ€™s surgeon why they are willing to go through this.
How the Male Breast Implant Is Done
The breast implant used specifically for male patients is referred to as pectoral implant. The name speaks itself of how the procedure is likely done. The implant, which is made out of hard silicone, provides men with breast implants for a lean and much muscular look. It increases the bulk in the muscles and is directly placed under the pectoral muscles to increase the shape.
- The client would be heavily sedated, and the procedure would be performed while the individual would be under a common anesthesia.
- With the help of an endoscope, a hole is made under the pectoral muscle. The muscle itself is not separated or divided from its attachment to the breastbone and ribcage.
- A solid Silastic material would then be inserted depending on the size of the chest of the male client. The implant is smooth, flexible, and hard to touch.
- This procedure does not require for the client to stay long in the hospital. Right after the procedure, he may be able to go home, provided that he returns for a routine checkup within the week and the dressing removed after a few days.
Breast implants in the previous years were done on much older women and on married oneâ€™s who are done with child bearing. But nowadays, the procedure is also common to young and married women who are still into childbirth, which is why questions such as the possibility of breast feeding with implants is frequently raised.
Yes, breast implants feeding is very much possible no matter what type of implant has been chosen and undertaken. In fact, breastfeeding is not much different on women who have breast implants and breast feeding mothers who have none. Others who have been breastfeeding before implant would even say that breast feeding with implants is a little easier after the procedure.
Breastfeeding with Breast Augmentation
Women who are planning to have breast implants should think ahead if they also have plans of breastfeeding. Although the possibility of breast implants feeding is high, those who are yet to start a family should be aware of the risks of the procedure.
Yes, women can do breast feeding with implants, but it would be a different situation if the implant procedure encounters some problems. If the patient suffers complications from the surgery, it would be difficult for her to breast feed her baby. A breastfeeding mother should be fit and healthy, and if she herself is suffering from implant complications, then breastfeeding is no longer possible.
Breast Implants and Breastfeeding Concerns
The problem with silicone implants has been clarified. Back in the 1990s, there were reports of silicone oil or gel leaking into the body and patients becoming ill. Silicone implant was banned for a while, but is now again available correcting the flaws it had before.
If there is an instance that silicone gel leaks into the body, breast implants feeding is not a problem. With silicone implant, it is hard to identify right away if there is really a leakage but mothers who are breastfeeding during this time would not worry about endangering their child. The silicone molecules are not able to pass through the milk ducts and breast tissue to the lactating baby because they are too large.
Women who are planning to have breast implant and would want to breastfeed in the future are not guaranteed that they will be able to do so. But it does not mean that having the procedure is out of the picture, there should be just a clear understanding that one risk that will be faced is for the patient to have some difficulty in breast implants feeding.
Side Effects, Risks, Complications of Silicone Breast Implants
There has really been no solid scientific evidence that ruptured silicon breast implants could lead to grave health problems like autoimmune disorders or cancer.
The primary problem encountered with a ruptured silicone breast implant is the appearance of a scar tissue right on the breast. This often leads to disfigurement and pain. Also read advantages of string breast implant surgery
Although there were women who had no symptoms or signs when their gel breast implants ruptured, others experienced such symptoms as:
- formation of lumps on their breasts
- tenderness or pain of the breasts
- distortion of the breast shape
- lessened size of the breast
Knowing this, if you already have had surgery using silicone gel breast implants and suffering from one or more of these symptoms, then you need to consult with your doctor immediately. A ruptured implant can be diagnosed through breast MRI, CT, or ultrasound.
A lot of women are afraid to have a breast implant because it might rupture. It is but appropriate that the possibility of a breast implant rupture be dealt with. It is a fact that any foreign material that is implanted in the body will result to a normal reaction of creating a scar tissue. In cases of a breast implants rupture, the bodyâ€™s reaction is to the formation of new scar tissues. This phenomenon could result in:
- Pains in the breasts that are not attributed to the heart or ribs
- Breast tenderness
- Lumps in the breasts
- Decrease in the size of the breasts or deflation of the implanted shell
- Distortion of the breastâ€™s shape
- Abnormal hardness of the breasts
There is no existing medical fact that proves that a breast implant rupture has led to the death of the patient. You must avoid though the resulting inconveniences of pain and inflammation. Gummy bear silicone breast implants help reduce the risk of ruptures.
Remedy for Breast Implant Ruptures
If you experience any of the abovementioned symptoms, it is probable that you have a breast implant rupture. You should go to you surgeon and tell him about them. He might advise you to have any or all of the following tests to check the possibility of your breast implant leaking:
- Magnetic resonance imaging or what is called MRI is considered as the most accurate among the tests but is the most expensive.
- Ultrasonography is affordable but interpretation is highly dependent on the equipment operator.
- Computed tomography scanning or more popularly known as CT scan provides similar results to those provided by MRI but exposes the patient to too much radiation, which could be counterproductive.
- Mammography is the least expensive but has its limitation too especially when the implants are made of silicone that are not translucent.
Preventive Measures for Leaking Breast Implants
You can avoid leaking breast implants by being fully informed on what your surgeon had or has intended to do. You should avoid procedures like those that go through your belly button because most cases of ruptured breast implants are associated with them and the over or under filling of the implanted shells.
You should refrain from playing sports such as basketball, football, volleyball, and other activities that might result to chest traumas. In all cases and situation, ensure that your chest area is well protected from sudden impacts or continuous mild strain. You must go through medical checkups related to your breasts at least once in three years to detect if there are any ruptured breast implant.
Breast Implant Safety | Safe Silicon and Saline Implants
Wealth and beauty are useless when the bearer does not have the health. It is important that anyone who has breast implants is vigilant and fully informed about the procedures, its advantages and disadvantages, the components of the material used in the implant, and the credibility of the surgeon.
You can achieve personal breast implant safety by keeping a full tab of the following:
The steps that your surgeon will do during the preparation and actual operation for the implant. You should not agree to any plan to have the implant done by going through your belly button. This practice is said to have caused a lot of implant leaking.
Your physical activities. You should avoid physically strenuous activities that might inflict trauma to your chest such as playing basketball and lifting. You may also like to read safety measures for implant cosmetic surgery
The medical examinations or tests that you should undergo every two years to check the state of your implants
Greater breast implant safety could be achieved too by doing the following:
- Moisturize your breasts by applying oils such as those derived from cocoa to keep your implanted breasts moist and soft.
- Perform a light massage on your breast implants to reduce the possibility of hardening that could compromise your safety.
- Lengthen the usefulness of your breast implants by preventing it from drooping by wearing a pair of brassieres.
- If there are any blemishes on the surface of your breasts, immediately see a dermatologist so that they will be properly treated.
- When you sleep, lie on your sides. Do not put pressure on your breast implants because they might leak and poison your system.
Safe Breast Implants
There are ongoing and completed researches to come up with better ways and materials of producing implants that will ensure breast implant safety. Some of these researches and results are:
- A study performed by the National Cancer Institute involving 13,500 women who received silicone gel as breast implants before 1989. This research found out that there was no significant raise in the incidence of breast cancer and death among these women.
- A research by the National Academy Institute of Medicine about silicone breast implant safety where it was identified that diseases such as cancer, connective tissue disorder, or other systemic medical conditions are not more prevalent among women with silicone breast implants.
- Mentorâ€™s researches on saline-filled breast implant safety where it was identified that they are safe and non-toxic. This finding was based on a study involving 5,000 women participants.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.